Saturday, September 27, 2008

Well, as we brace for tonight's VP debate, I have to give McCain credit: He did better than I expected him to do last Friday. However, the distinctions between the candidates were stark which I doubt that he wanted. He did (as I predicted) try to use a soundbite line to define Barack. Sadly for John, trying to claim your opponent doesn't understand or is naive while said opponent is simultaneously in the process of demonstrating a deep and nuanced level of understanding might not be a great idea. McCain's best moment Friday was while he played the Bully, not allowing Barack to counter punch. At the same time I have to wonder what was up with his refusal to look at his opponent. I saw the Washington Post try to spin this as a "Alpha Dog" technique, but I'm not buying it. He looked weird, and to me afraid to look at Barack. I'm sure that wasn't it, but whatever he was up to it didn't work. The most encouraging thing from the debate has to be the response in the polls: Americans may indeed be awake.

Now, we must acknowledge a couple of facts: The right wing base will not move regardless of the outcome of these debates. Ditto for the left wing base. This game will be won in the middle. Thank God that the middle seems to be paying close attention. The title of this blog reflects my sincere hope that the boondoggle we have endured over the past eight years may provide the impetus that creates a new type of American electorate, one that investigates, listens, and yes, reasons. We may be seeing the infancy of a new age of reason.

Then again we may not. Tonight's debate will provide a test of this theory. If Sarah is seen as doing well just for showing up and not vomiting, then no, we're not on track. Late word today indicates that she will "go after" Biden. Better to be on the offensive I suppose, although her plan would seem to ignore the problem of the moderator, who if the first debate is an indicator will work hard to move the debate where she wants it to go. Biden must be concise and respectful this evening. No rambling answers Joe, no condescension, stick to the facts and smile. I read two articles yesterday suggesting that Sarah might be a formidable debater. The reasons? She is a master of the 60 second answer that doesn't say anything and is therefore difficult to refute. And, in three way debates she has a history of standing back and letting her opponents fight, selecting opportune moment to interject cute, biting remarks. I expect some of the cute and biting stuff tonight, but there will be no opportunity to stand back - nowhere to hide. I also expect the "middle" to see the cute and biting remarks as scripted; hope I'm right.

And what of the Great American Bailout? What will Sarah think? Her answer to Katie Couric was interesting, if empty. At least it provided some entertainment. Americans lost 1.2 TRILLION in equity after the vote on the $700 billion dollar package failed. Seems like a bargain to me.

I don't posses a deep understanding of economics on a national or global scale. However, I'm fairly certain that another Great Depression would be bad. Let's try to avoid that.

No comments: